CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
College of Liberal Arts
Department of History
Tenure-Track Position Opening
Recruitment Number: 2575
Position: Assistant Professor of History (Modern World History)
Effective Date: August 17, 2020 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
• Ph.D. in History at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2020.
• Specialization in Modern World history, with an emphasis in either the African Diaspora, the Islamicate,
or South Asia
• Record of, or demonstrated potential for, effective teaching.
• Record of, or demonstrated potential for, successful research and publication.
• Demonstrated potential for continued development of research, scholarly, and creative activities.
• Experience with, or demonstrated potential for, effective participation in faculty governance.
• Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse
• Evidence of scholarly production and an on-going research agenda in either African diaspora, Islamicate, or South Asia.
• Evidence of ability for excellence in teaching in World history and/or field of specialization.
• Evidence of ability to effectively teach college-level courses in World history and/or field of specialization.
• Evidence of ability to develop new course offerings in World history and field of specialization.
• Evidence of support for and/or experience related to the University’s strong commitment to the academic success of its diverse student body.
• Evidence of ability to engage in research leading to conference
participation and publications.
• Evidence of department, college, university and community service.
• Teach and develop courses in Modern World history at the Bachelor’s and the Master’s levels.
• Advise and mentor students, including the supervision of Master’s students taking comprehensive exams and those writing a thesis.
• Engage in research leading to conference participation and publication.
• Participate in faculty governance.
• Participate in service to the department, college, university, and community.
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University’s strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Information on excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
How to Apply – Required Documentation:
- An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). For further information and guidelines, please visit: http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement
- Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- CV (including current email address)
- Names and contact information for three references
- Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
- Copies of writing samples
- Copies of teaching evaluations from various course levels
- Finalists will also be required to submit the following:
- A signed SC-1 form,
- Three current letters of recommendation independently provided by references, and
- An official transcript (e-transcript preferred, if available)
Applicants should apply and submit all required documentation electronically through:
Upon request, finalists will be required to submit original, official documents, as noted in the required documentation section.
David Shafer, Chair and Professor
California State University, Long Beach
Department of History
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-1601
562-985-4431 or email@example.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications to begin November 1, 2019.
Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran’s status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.